My Abuela Carmen always dreamed of being a pastry chef and selling her sweets, cakes and cookies. Life had another plans for her, but la Abuela Carmen never stopped making pastries and she was always looking for an excuse to prepare sweets for family and friends.
This is the recipe my Abuela or Madre always prepared on my birthday when I was little.
Chocolate Birthday Cake
Cooking chocolate - 500 g
Butter - 200 g
Eggs - 3
Biscuits - 400 g
Milk - 300 ml
Coffee - 1 espresso
Sugar - 1 tablespoons
1. Chop the chocolate and melt it to bain-marie.
2. Separate the egg whites and yolks and whisk the 3 whites up in firm peaks.
3. Mix the yolks with the butter.
4. Carefully mix the warm chocolate with the whites and then add the yolks and butter.
5. Let the mixture stand.
6. Mix the milk, sugar and coffee in a deep plate.
7. Carefully dip the biscuits in the milk and create a layer on the base of a cake mold.
8. Alternate layers of chocolate and biscuits. Make the last layer with chocolate.
9. Decoration time! You can use whipped cream, chopped biscuits or (my favourite) chocolate and salt flakes.
Amigos ¡Qué aproveche!